Creative Critical Reflection Draft #1

Throughout my magazine I did not challenge conventions, but used them to my advantage. While nothing that I designed or wrote was outstandingly different from typical health\fitness\wellness magazines, it is different since it takes information from a direct source (a gym owner and body builder) rather than just from those who have learned specific things from their trainer or nutritionist. Since Jamie is my focus for the main article, I chose to also portray him on the cover in the way that displayed him as someone who knows what is best for starting a healthy lifestyle or continuing one. In addition, I followed by example of published magazines in order to choose a font and a color scheme. Observing magazines like Women's Health and Shape, I noticed that on the front cover, the magazine name was written in capitals letters and used an eye-catching font color. Since this was a common trend, I recreated this using my magazine name, "'Sota Wellness," which was presented in a light, rusty, red color, in capital letters. By doing this, I am keeping a constant idea threaded within my magazine that is a basic detail threaded within other successful magazines. Continually, my table of contents is different from some of the magazines that I have researched because it is laid out in three categories, with pictures that correspond to the magazine's theme, strategically placed on the page in order to create a uniform appearance. The way that I have set up my table of contents page is unique to my magazine, showing that it is organized and follows a standard presentation, but is also unique to the style of which I prefer. Finally, the layout of my article is different from that of a typical interview-styled article. I chose to add in small details of what I know in addition to the information that Jamie was relaying to me in response to the questions that I asked him. With this set up, not only am I able to share what I have learned from training with him, but also what he has learned through his studies and his teachings. Also, I chose to use a bright yellow text to head the page so that it wraps in the colors from the pictures and creates a vibrant atmosphere. This has allowed for me to be able to show the piece's energy and excitement for talking about health and fitness, but also show that this is an article that wants the reader to gain enthusiasm and feel joy that they are impacting their lives for the better. Overall, my magazine has more so utilized conventions that are employed throughout similar magazines, but has also tweaked them in order to suit my magazine. Using these conventions has created a strong piece that displays the content mentioned in a professional, but creative manner.

Comments